December 4, 2010

I got a microscope!!!

... and been playing with it for several hours now.   It is a Celestron Deluxe LCD Digital microscope, model 44345, and it is an awesome starter microscope for a nut like me :) 

I always wanted one, ever since elementary school when we got to look at some interesting plant mitochondria and animal skin cells.  Paul, my awesome husband, turned Santa and bought me this wonderful thing, and some cool slide sets, and now I can only imagine all my housework (not just the basement painting) will be mysteriously delayed, LOL.

I also went online to read up on how to prepare slides, and such, and found some interesting, and some rather disturbing information on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz4CddJDU30&feature=related and went further here: http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/eyelash/creatures.html

Holy crap, I know we all carry "things" (like dust mites) on ourselves but these Demodex folliculorum mites live in our eye lashes... Yikes! Now that I've read, and wrote, about it, I have to say my eyes are exhibiting a typical psychosomatic response to this information and started to itch in a weird way... and after seeing several videos on the subject on YouTube, I feel like taking a bleach bath... One thing for sure, I don't care they say the dust mites are "harmless", and even "helpful" - I'm going to try very, very hard not to think about them, or the "mating eye lash mites", when I go to sleep soon.  I have a feeling I'll dream of bacteria and epithelia...