December 10, 2010

I washed my UGGs...

... and they lived!

A couple of years ago, when the Classic Cardy first came out, I gave into temptation and got me a pair of those in a color called "raisin" (rich medium purple). I'm curious why they called it "raisin" since raisins are more brown than purple but, I guess, if they called it "grape", people would get confused as, generally, there are purple, red and green grapes.

Personally, I am a very visual person (it can be a curse; I'll get to that in a moment). If you tell me that something's color is "grape", I always see it as some shade of purple but, not everyone out there will visualize it as such. Calling something's color "raisin" is definitely more creative than calling something "purple", despite the fact it might actually mean the same... and you know what the funny part was? I actually wanted them in a color called "moss"! But, by mistake, or maybe some dumb luck, I have selected "raisin" and submitted the order, and then I realized the error.  Immediately, I fired away an urgent email to UGG Australia, asking them to help me correct my booboo and change my order to moss instead of raisin, and they responded that they are unable to change my order, and that I should wait for the UPS and refuse delivery so the boots get sent back, and then, after I get a refund, I can reorder them in moss.
What an absolute horseshit, don't you think?
Anyway, I resigned myself to receive boots I would not like and... was delighted with them when they arrived! The raisin color was actually very lovely and very wearable and, on top of that, purple became the "it" color so everything worked out perfectly. There must have been some wicked karma at work here... and, a year later, purple continues to be the "it" color for fall/winter 2010; how cool is that?

Ahh, but back to my UGGs, and no, they are NOT UGGly as some people out there call them.  To these schmucks I say: f**k you.
Since my "raisin" Classic Cardy UGGs got quite dirty over time (I also wear them indoors when my feet are extra cold), I gave them a "bath" in the washer, on normal cycle, cold water, and guess what? They came out like new, incl. the shearling padding inside.

I tried to dry them in a dryer but, since they clunk a whole lot when they spin around, the dryer door kept popping open and the cycle would never complete... until I just "padded" the dryer with a bunch of bath towels thus making it more of a balanced load to spin. This worked surprisingly well, and my Cardy's came out perfectly dry and ready to wear, again. 

The shearling padding was the trickiest part but the drying cycle took care of fluffing it back up to brand new condition. I'm not sure I would venture this far with a full suede/shearling UGG boots but the Cardy's are definitely a good candidate for wash-and-dry when they get dirty.

OK, the digression of me being "visual":  normally, I'd say I love it because if you were to  describe something to me (the shape, the color, the size, whatever), I would literally "see it" in my mind. For the most, that's an awesome thing but, if you were to describe something nasty like excrement or vomit, I would also "see it" the moment you talked about it. So, you see, sometimes being visual is not so pleasant...

PS. I <3 my UGGs! http://www.ugg-classic-tall-boots.net/ugg-australia-boots-classic-cardy-5819-purple-p-531.html